Beef Barley Soup
Source: The Basic Housewife
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 cup cooked diced pot roast (I make this soup when I have leftover pot roast)
- 1/2 cup quick barley
- 3 cups wide egg noodles
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
In a sauce pan, bring broth to a boil. Add pot roast, barley, noodles and carrots.
Cook according to beef barley directions and when finished, add salt and pepper to taste and basil.
Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Source: Cait Mundell
- 1 pound ground chicken (lean)
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 packet dry ranch seasoning
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 carrot stalk diced
Mix all ingredients with hands. Shape mixture into meatballs.
Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 30 minutes at 400 F.
- 2 medium heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup small diced onion
- 1/4 cup finely ground breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Ranch dressing or ketchup, for dipping
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets to the water and cook them just until fork tender, about 5 minutes. Thoroughly drain the florets and transfer them to a food processor. Pulse the broccoli for a few seconds just until the it breaks down into small pieces.
Measure out 3 packed cups of the broccoli and add it to a large bowl. Add the diced onion, breadcrumbs, egg and Parmesan cheese and mix until thoroughly combined.
Using your hands, portion out about 2 tablespoons of the mixture and mold it into a tater tot shape. Arrange the tots on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
Bake the tots for about 20 minutes then flip them once and bake them an additional 10 to 15 minutes until crisped. Remove the tots from the oven and serve them with ketchup, Ranch dressing or hummus for dipping.
The onion should to be cut small enough so that it’s not too chunky and can be easily mixed into the broccoli mixture.
The cheese can be omitted in order to make this recipe dairy-free.
The breadcrumbs can be swapped for finely crushed gluten-free pretzels, cereal or dried bread in order to make this recipe gluten-free.
Dads Fresh Homemade Salsa
Source: The Basic House Wife
- 1 32 ounce can of whole tomatoes
- 1 bunch of cilantro chopped
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1 habanero diced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Blend all together in a blender and serve fresh
Homemade Miso Soup
- 2 teaspoons dashi granules
- 4 cups of water
- 3 tablespoons miso paste
- 1 (8 ounce) package silken tofu, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine dashi granules and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and whisk in the miso paste. Stir in tofu. Separate the layers of the green onions, and add them to the soup. Simmer gently for 2 to 3 minutes before serving.
Homemade Ginger Dressing
- 1⁄2cup minced onion
- 1⁄2cup peanut oil
- 1⁄3cup rice vinegar
- 2tablespoons water
- 2tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2tablespoons minced celery
- 2tablespoons ketchup
- 4teaspoons soy sauce
- 2teaspoons sugar
- 2teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4teaspoon pepper
Combine all ingredients in blender and serve over salad.
Baked Parmesan Garlic Zucchini
- 2 zucchini
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut zucchini lengthwise into quarters and put in a bowl.
- Pour olive oil over zucchini and add minced garlic. With your hands, rub the garlic and olive oil all over the zucchini.
- Put the zucchini on the baking sheet in a single layer, skin side down.
- Sprinkle the zucchini with salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese and oregano.
- Put the zucchini in the oven on the top rack, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Switch the oven to Broil, and bake for another 4 minutes, or until zucchini is golden brown.
- Serve warm. Optionally, you can sprinkle zucchini with an extra 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese right before serving